1: Can you run a license plate and tell me who it belongs to?
  No. This information can not be disseminated outside of law enforcement.

2: Can you run my drivers license and provide me with a copy?
  No. A form can be provided to you to complete and submit to DPS in Austin. For a fee, your license information will be forwarded to you via the US mail.

3: Is there a leash law in the county?
  No there is not, but dogs must have a collar and tags indicating that vaccinations are current or they may be picked up by animal control.

4: My common-law spouse took a vehicle that is in my name.  Can Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle be filed on them?
  Texas recognizes common-law relationships and is also a community property state. If the vehicle was acquired by either party during the relationship, the vehicle belongs to both. A common-law marriage can and should be dissolved by filing for divorce. Property issues, custody issues and child support issues will then be decided by the court.

5: My spouse refuses to allow my court ordered visitation with my children. 
Can he or she be arrested for not following the orders of the court?
  Technically, custody and property issues as a result of a divorce decree are civil matters and the court should be petitioned and a hearing held to resolve any areas of contention. This does not mean that one spouse or the other cannot report incidents whereby one party or the other refuses to comply with the visitation provisions of the decree. If the information is documented by an incident report, this information is available to the attorneys representing either party. If an offense of Interference with Child Custody is generated, the District Attorney's office  will determine if the elements of an offense exist and if a warrant should be issued.


What services do Victim Liasons provide?


On scene crisis intervention 24 hours a day.
Accompaniment to hospital or other service agencies.
Referrals to support agencies.
Emergency transportation.
Notification and assistance in filing Crime victims' Compensation claims.
Assistance in obtaining Protective Orders.
Serve as liaison between victims and law enforcement.
Assist by telephone or office visit any victim requiring assistance filling the crime.
Assistance in delivering death notifications and assisting at death scenes.
Court accompaniment.
Family Violence and Sexual Assault assistance.

7: What is a Protective Order, and how can it help me?
   A protective order my prohibit the offender from;
  • Committing further acts of family violence
  • Harassing or threatening the victim, either directly or indirectly by communicating the threat through another person
  • Going to, or near a school or day-care center that a child protected under the order attends
  • Possessing a firearm

In some situations, a protective order may also include orders to ______ if certain conditions are met.

  • Prohibit transfer or disposal of property
  • Establish possession and visitation of a child
  • Pay child or spousal support for a period not to exceed one year
  • Attend mandatory counseling
  • Vacate the residence or other specified property
8: Who is eligible for a Protective Order?
   If a court finds that family violence has occurred and is likely to occur again, the court shall render a protective order. To obtain a protective

order, the victim and the offender must be;

  • Related by blood or marriage
  • Living together, or previously lived together
  • Have or have had a dating relationship
  • Have a child or children together
A person who has a divorce pending is eligible for a protective order. The protective order must be filed in court in which the divorce is pending

9: How can I get a protective order?
  You can apply for a protective order through the district or county attorney, a private attorney, or a legal aid service program. The application
must be filed in the county in which you or the offender lives. There are no minimum time limits to establish residency, and protective orders are
available in every county in Texas. 

10: What does it cost?

The applicant (victim) or an attorney representing the applicant may not be assessed a fee, cost, charge, or expense, by a district or county
clerk or by a sheriff, constable, or other public official or employee in connection with the filing, serving, or entering or for any other service.
This includes any fees for dismissing, modifying, or withdrawing a protective order, certifying copies, comparing copies to originals, court reporter
fees, judicial fund fees, transferring a protective order or for any other service related to a protective order. The court shall require the offender to
pay the fees incurred in connection with the protective order unless the offender shows good cause or is indigent.

Victim Liaisons will be able to instruct and guide victims through the process of applying for Protective Orders and will accompany victims to court,
at the request of the victim.

11: What items can inmates receive from family/friends?
  Inmates can receive letters and family pictures through the mail. Any other items must be approved by Inmate Services prior to being accepted. 

12: How much credit does an inmate receive daily (that goes towards laying out fines)?
  $100.00 per day after 24 hours
$200.00 per day for trustees 

13: What is the cost of an inmate phone call?
  Local Calls:

Collect: $5.15 for up to 20 minutes
Prepaid: $5.00 for up to 20 minutes

Long Distance:

Collect: $3.37 for first minute and then $0.37 a minute up to 20 minutes
Prepaid: $3.37 for first minute and then $0.37 a minute up to 20 minutes


14: Who can be contacted if an inmate is unable to make collect calls?
  Contact Telmate at 866-516-0115. 

15: How can money be left for an inmate?

Money can be deposited three ways:

  1. Kiosk machine in the front lobby - cash, debit or credit card
  2. On-line at www.inmatedeposits.com - you must register to access this website.
  3. Call toll-free at 866-345-1884

16: How can I find out if somebody is in jail?
  Call the Victoria County Jail main number (361-574-8044) and be prepared to give the persons correct name (entire name), the age or Date Of Birth can prove to beneficial if there is more than one person incarcerated with the same name. 

17: How do I get in touch with the jail to check the status of an inmate?
  Call the main phone number at 361-575-0651. 

18: Who do I call to find out my 911 address?
  Contact Golden Crescent Regional Planning Commission Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm at 361-578-1587. 

19: What are the non-emergency numbers to the Sheriff's Office, Police Department, Fire Department, and EMS?
  These are the numbers
  • Sheriffs Office 361-575-0651
  • Police Department 361-573-3221
  • Fire Department 361-573-3221
  • EMS 361-573-3221
20: How do I get in touch with a sheriff's office in another county?
  In most instances, you can contact information (1-411) on your telephone and tell them you need the phone number to the sheriff office in the
town you are looking for. If, for some reason, you are not able to obtain a phone number from the telephone company, our agency has a list of
phone numbers for the sheriffs departments in the entire state of Texas. Contact our communications office at 361-575-0651. 

21: Where is the jail located?
  The jail is located in the same building as the Sheriff's Office at 101 N. Glass Street.