How can I...
  • All cases must be investigated and filed by a law enforcement agency with the District Attorney's Office.
  • Contact the law enforcement agency that created the report to obtain a copy.
  • Contact the local Attorney General's office at 5610 John Stockbauer Drive; call 800-252-8014 or go to
  • You can contact the County or District Clerk to see if you are a party in a civil or criminal case or are subject to a warrant from the court. You can call the municipal court or justice courts as well. If you have been arrested, you should expect that you have a case. If you have bonded out of custody it is your responsibility to update the County/District Clerk with your current contact information so that they will send you any future court dates.
  • You do not. In every case the State of Texas and her laws have been violated. The prosecutor represents the state of Texas and her interest. The constitution gives the prosecutor sole discretion as to the cases accepted or prosecuted. If you want to file an affidavit of non-prosecution, then schedule to meet with the Victim Witness Coordinator and prosecutor assigned the case, bring two forms of ID (at least one photo-ID) and make a sworn statement. You can be prosecuted if you previously made a deliberate false statement to a peace officer or if you were to deliberately lie under oath. If is wrong to lie and put someone in jail, or to release a criminal from jail.
  • That depends on how complicated the case is, how much forensic testing is required, how dangerous you are, and the work-loads of the agencies involved. With that in mind it could be the same day or six months.
  • Contact either the Victoria County District Clerk at 361-575-0581 or the County Clerk at 361-575-1478.
  • Yes. Please contact the prosecutor/investigator listed on the subpoena to find out specific dates for your appearance in court. If you refuse to comply with a subpoena issued by a Texas court, the judge has the discretion to find you in contempt; hold you in custody for up to six months in jail or until you purge yourself of contempt and fine you an amount not to exceed $500 in a felony case and $100 in a misdemeanor case.
  • There are many types of witnesses. You may not have seen the crime occur but you may know something about it or you may know something that contradicts another witness's testimony. If you wonder why you are testifying in a particular case, ask the prosecutor/investigator handling the case.
  • A PROTECTIVE ORDER is a civil court order used to prevent continuing acts of family violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking. Family violence is defined as: (1) an act by a family member, or member of the victim’s household, intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault; or any threat that reasonably places the victim in fear of physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, OR (2) any abuse to a child by a family member or member of the household. *A protective order may also be appropriate against a person with whom the victim is in a “dating relationship” with depending on the circumstances. If a court finds that a protective order is appropriate, the court can prohibit an offender from any kind of direct or indirect contact with a victim, the victim’s family, the victim’s property, and the victim’s pets. The court can also prohibit the offender from possessing a firearm and require an offender to vacate any property that they share with the victim. In Victoria County the District Attorney’s Office can help you get a Protective Order.

    A RESTRAINING ORDER is a civil court order that prevents one party to a lawsuit from particular conduct throughout the duration of the suit. It preserves property and protects parties who already have a lawsuit filed, including divorce. It may order one party not to harm your property, harass, threaten or harm you or your children. With regard to penalties, a restraining order violation may be brought to the court’s attention and the offender may be sent to jail – although, this is not typical. However, a person that violates a protective order can face criminal charges as well as contempt of court and the protective order can be enforced by law enforcement as well as the courts.
  • If someone has physically assaulted or threatened you, contact the police department or sheriff's office to file a report. Even if you are ineligible for a protective order, you may be able to have the person arrested for assault, criminal trespass or stalking. If you fear for your safety speak to a domestic violence counselor about making a Safety Plan for yourself and your family.
  • No, the District Attorney's Office is prevented by law from representing individuals; they only represent The State of Texas in criminal proceedings and provide legal advice to county elected officials upon formal request. They cannot represent or advise private citizens.
  • A private attorney can advise and represent you.
  • For security reasons, none is provided. If you would like to contact an employee, call 361-575-0468.
  • Call our office at 361-575-0468 or review our website.